Monday, January 24, 2011

How Embarrassing!!! - Did that really happen?

Today I went to get my 4 year-old, Jake from school at 10:50 AM. I got out of the van to get him and left it running like I normally do. He meets me about half way, so I just leave the other 3 kids in the van. When I went to open the door to let Jake in, I realized what had happened...I was locked out! I ran around checking every door, saying to myself, "Please God, please God!" No such luck. So, Jake and I ran into the school and told the secretaries what had happened. One of the secretaries told me she'd run me home to get the spare key and the principal said she would stay outside with the kids. Then a parent overheard what we were talking about and said she had done that before and told us to call 911. She said they'd be there quickly. I thought that might be a better option to save so many people from having to be inconvenienced. So that's what we did.

About 10 minutes passed. I went to check on the kids and they thought I was playing a game with them. They were laughing and having a great time! When the firefighters got there, they immediately told me that they couldn't open electronic locks. So, back to plan A. Paula got her coat on and when I turned back around, there were 3 cop cars there, lights on and all. Kids and teachers were seeing all of this and they started asking questions. So, they made an all school announcement not to be alarmed - that a mom just locked her keys in the car. (Now I REALLY felt like an idiot.) The cops said they would make sure the kids were okay and said they'd stay with them. When the secretary and I got back to school, there was one more cop car and a Sheriff that said he was just curious what was going on - 5 cop cars...all because of me. Now I'm interested to find out if Gavin and Aidan know that their idiot mom was the "mom who locked the keys in the car".

All the kids are fine. I just kept feeling like I was in a scene from a movie. How embarrassing!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You need to teach the kids to get out of their carseats...next time they could just unlock the doors for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, did that exact same thing in the dead of winter. Can so relate, except for the part of getting the fire department and 5 cop cars involved~ LOL!!! Luckily I had an ex-con nearby who knew how to break into vehicles;)

    ReplyDelete